Twelve regular BTC artists have been commissioned to create the lanterns that reflect different aspects of the annual celebration, including solstice, samba dancing and fireworks. The brightly lit lanterns will be on display in 12 independent shop windows throughout December.
View our artists here
P L A Y T H E T R A I L
The trail is best seen in the dark and our recommended starting point on Trafalgar St.
1. Visit btc.samesky.co.uk on your phone, where you will receive instructions and clues.
2. Solve the clues to find the lanterns locations.
3. Look out for the poster in each lantern host shop window for code to unlock the lantern.
4. You can create and share a personal message when you unlock each lantern from your mobile, reflecting your hopes and dreams for the following 12 months.
5. Find all 12 lanterns for a chance to win a limited-edition Graham Carter print of the ‘Luck Dragon’ worth £96.
Traditionally, people taking part in the BTC parade carry homemade lanterns along Brighton’s streets before adding them to a bonfire on the beach at the end of the night. This moment is an opportunity to reflect on the past year and consider your personal wishes for the coming one.
“Our new Burning the Clocks lantern trail is an exciting and safe alternative to the regular Brighton parade and something that everyone can get involved in. It’s a chance to get outside, have some fun and support our local artists who are among the many people in the city to have been so badly affected by this pandemic.”
John Varah, artistic director
The Burning the Clocks crowdfunder supports the funding of this trail and the artists’ commissions which has also been part-funded by the Government’s Culture Recovery Fund . The crowdfunder offers a range of locally made artisan Christmas gifts at different price points including limited prints, art works and Christmas star lanterns for window displays.
The Luck Dragon by John Varah
Dark clouds they gather
As the sun goes down
Challenges do abound
And such sadness hangs
The Luck Dragon sleeps
Then darkness comes
Those fears they grow
For loved ones lost
For their faces unseen
The luck Dragon stirs
So we gather up our tiny hearts
And join together to clap and cheer
For many drops do make a sea
And love can conquer all this fear
The luck Dragon wakes